.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Journey into the autistic world.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Update on World of Autism and Other Developments

After operating from September 2005 to July 2006, my children’s individualised and customised learning programme had come to an end (a part of the World of Autism under the auspices of KS Charity and Education Foundation). While I had been happy to assist in the progress of a handful of mildly autistic to moderately autistic children ranging from 5 to 9 years old (at different times), I had to end this programme due to my change in residence. After my son decided to move to my mum’s place in Ang Mo Kio, with the sale of the property that I was renting, I decided that it was not feasible for me to continue with this highly affordable programme in Tampines.

As a single parent, I consider this development as a time for me to reflect on how I would like to pursue my lifestyle as a homeschooler of an autistic son and a freelance writer/editor/consultant/educator. As it has been my policy to charge parent clients a highly affordable fee, especially with regard to the children’s programme (which took up a lot of my time and energy not only in implementing the class, but also in designing the coursework), I now feel the need to re-adjust my priorities to aim for better financial security for my son’s future.

Thus, I am taking a break from this programme in order to decide how to proceed further. Currently, I am still busy with outside editing work, my own writings and my teacher training workshops and consultations involving primary school teachers in mainstream schools, along with special needs teachers.

However, I am mindful of the fact that many people have donated their money with the purchase of my picture book (All Because of the Hummingbird… Or the Horse), which was used to raise money for this specific programme. Currently, there is still $1,1962.74. As I am not 100 percent certain that I will be running another children’s programme in Ang Mo Kio, I have given myself a deadline till the end of this year to make this decision. Should I decide not to continue with the children’s programme, I will be donating this sum of money to a special needs school/organisation of my choice. I will update you all about my future plans.

With regard to the subsequent sales of the picture book, 200 copies have been picked up by a distributor for sale (not for charity purposes, as the distributor takes a hefty 60 percent portion of the proceeds) and 10 copies are being sold at Bookaburra Bookstore at Forum Shopping Centre at Orchard. The retail price for this book is $12.60 (or very close to this amount).

Once again, I would like to thank all of you for your continuous support for my endeavours. To all the parents of autistic children, continue to fight the good fight for your children and love them. To all the professionals who make the choice of working with autistic children (when you do not have to), thank you and keep an open mind about these extraordinary children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home