.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Journey into the autistic world.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Books, workshops, one-on-one learning sessions for autism, special needs and mental wellness

Dear everyone:

Happy New Year to you all! I want to thank all the educators, caregivers and supporters who have hired me and/or given me feedback about my articles: your support and interest in Awakening Minds is much appreciated.

For the start of the new year, I wanted to offer a concise introduction to the highlights of my Website that has expanded and grown since its conception back in August 2009. I would also like to introduce two new workshops I have designed, a recently-added service and a support group.

1. Highlights of my Website:

Books: http://www.awakeningminds.sg/books.html: my published books on autism, manic depression and a storywriting template and workbook.

Workshops (My proposed topics): http://www.awakeningminds.sg/workshops.html: my self-formulated workshops covering autism, caregiving, educational strategies, behavioural management and creative writing.

http://www.awakeningminds.sg/mental_wellness_workshops.html: my workshops on mental wellness and caregiving.

Workshops conducted: http://www.awakeningminds.sg/past_events.html: a comprehensive listing of all talks and workshops I have conducted.

Consultations: http://www.awakeningminds.sg/consultations.html, http://www.awakeningminds.sg/mental_wellness_consultations.html: my private, home-based consultations for families and institutions.

Learning Materials: http://www.awakeningminds.sg/learning_materials.html: Learning materials designed for children with learning difficulties.

Articles: http://www.awakeningminds.sg/articles.html: Articles on autism, special needs, mental wellness and parenting by me, as well as articles featuring me and Sebastien, written by journalists.

2. New Workshops:

Raising an Adolescent with Autism: Challenges, Perspectives and Strategies. Targeted at caregivers and educators, this interactive workshop will explore the unique challenges posed by adolescents with autism, as they grapple with their physical and mental changes. In this stimulating workshop, we will also discuss perspectives on this issue and explore effective strategies for dealing with these changes. Topics covered will include: Physical, Mental and Psychological Transformation, Sexuality, Aggression, Role of the Public and Authorities, Behavioural Management and Parenting (for Adolescents).

Caregiving, One Breath at a Time. The caregiving of a child with special needs, or individuals with mental illnesses, can be physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting. Conscious Breathing that takes up little time and effort offers a powerful tool for relaxing and recharging. In this workshop, participants will: learn about the effectiveness of conscious breathing; practise breathing techniques; and identify ways of incorporating them into their caregiving lifestyle.

3. Learning Support (One-on-one hourly sessions - $50/hour). All children, regardless of their learning deficits, can learn. In my learning sessions, I design customised worksheets with in-built scaffolding and utilise individualised strategies to challenge students with learning difficulties to learn. My focus is on cultivating English literacy in students at different stages of language development (from pre-language stage to mainstream schooling).

Daytime Slots: Tuesdays and Wednesdays (2:30 – 3:30 p.m.); Sundays (4:00 – 5:00 p.m.)
Evening Slots: Mondays and Thursdays (7:30 – 9:30) [Two hourly slots]

For all new students, there will be an one-hour assessment ($50) for me to meet the student and the caregiver.

4. Support Group for Caregivers of children with autism: I am dedicating the last Sunday of every month to a support group for caregivers of children with autism (7:30 - 9 p.m.). Caregiving can feel like such an isolated journey that I really feel that caregivers need to come together in a supportive space where they can share with others what they have learnt or what they are going through. There will be some light refreshments. Participants can also bring stuff if they like.

There are no obligations or membership requirements. I just ask that people who are interested RSVP me with the number of people coming by Thursday and contact information. If I do not have at least 3 participants (including myself), I will cancel the meeting.

I am happy to host the meeting (Ang Mo Kio), though I am open to us having rotating locations...

I look forward to hearing from you and wish you all a fulfilling 2011 ahead!

Sincerely yours,

Kah Ying

+658163-4509


P.S. Coach Sandy Snakenberg, a great fitness trainer and skating instructor, who has tremendous experience with teaching children and adults, including those with special needs, has instituted a monthly Open House -- the first Saturday of every month for people to check out his Functional Training Center. With an unusual set-up, it is not like the big commercial gyms out there. Please RSVP to Coach Sandy, info. below:

Date and Time: Saturday, January 8, 5:00 - 9:00 pm
Location: 6, Ubi Road 1, #03-06 Wintech Centre Singapore, Singapore, 408726 (Walking distance from MacPherson MRT; take Exit B)

To get more information or RSVP, please contact Coach Sandy at 9061-8118.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home